Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My Pretty Paper Party Kit

Warning: Very long post today!

The last few days I've been working on the third prompt from Shimelle's Pretty Paper Party class. We explored the two main questions that a lot of scrapbookers have when putting together a layout: Which patterned papers should I use, and how should I use them on my page? Over the years, these two steps have become much easier for me, but Shimelle's ideas were very intriguing and I wanted to give them a try.

First she had us put together our own kit. I've tried putting together a kit before without much success. But I was determined this time, as I followed the formula that she offered. I was pleasantly surprised how easy things fell into place. I started with a couple of patterned papers that had 4 to 5 different colors and that gave me the color palette to work with. These are my 12 patterned paper choices for my kit:



Here is the backside of these papers:



I chose my kit papers with this formula from Shimelle:  

**Choose subtle and smaller patterns for about half of your patterned papers. Use tone on tone or one color with white or cream, (e.g. polka dots, chevrons, wallpaper type prints).
**Choose 3-4 sheets with small prints with more than one color.
**Choose 1-2 sheets with bolder and/or larger patterns and that have a lot of contrast in the colors, (e.g. florals or bright colored patterns).
**Choose 1 sheet with multi colored stripes.
**Choose 1-2 sheets that can be cut apart and used as embellishments.

She also suggested that you pick 5-6 sheets from the papers your chose for your kit to set aside to be used as backgrounds for your layouts. 



In addition to the patterned papers, I also pulled a couple of letter sticker sheets, sticker sheets with similar colors for embellishments, brads, trims, enamel dots, buttons and bling to complete the kit. In the end I did use a lot of these embellishments on my layouts, but I did pull from my stash here and there to add different touches to my layouts. 

So, the kit answered the "which patterned papers?" question. The next question is "where to put them?". For this, we followed the design principle of concentration. Concentration is taking your page elements and putting them close together. You will concentrate all the page elements in one area and work out towards the edges of your page. Sounds logical....Easy enough.... I can do this!

But before we started scrapbooking with our kit, she threw us a curve ball. She wanted us to take half of the patterned papers from our kit and cut them up. What??? Before knowing what photos we are going to use? I was very tempted to skip this part, but I really thought I should dive in and give it a try. So I took half of my papers and cut them into various size strips and blocks. 



Now it was time to put together all these strips and blocks and start scrapbooking some layouts while focusing in on "concentrating" my page elements. 


Pre-Embellishment

Layout #1
                                                                                                                                                                            
Page Foundation
                                                                                       
Layout #2
                                                                                      
                                                                                          
Pre-embellishment
                                            
Layout #3

Layout #4

Page Foundation

Layout #5
Page Foundation


Layout #6


I used more than a third of the embellishments that I originally pulled for the kit. I did bring in a pack of white Thickers, the Bambi stickers, and a couple of other stickers here and there.

Pretty good huh? The first couple of layouts were a breeze in putting together. As I used more of the papers from the kit, the more challenging I found it to be. But in the end, I had used up almost all of the papers that I had pulled together. I probably could have made one more layout, or even a card or two, but I was a bit burned out at this point. All in all, it was a fun exercise and I would do it again.

Now I'm onto prompt #4 of the class......I will share as soon as I've completed it! Happy scrapping!  

13 comments:

Heather Landry said...

You did a great job putting your kit together and the pages came out amazing. Just really, REALLY awesome! It sounds like you're getting a lot out of the class.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwww!! You totally rocked these!!!! WOW WOW WOW!!! They all look FABULOUS!!! I am loving that last one with the Disney goodies on it!!!

Ashley Horton said...

WOW!! Fabulous work Debbie!! All of the layouts look amazing and it looks like you had a lot of fun following through the steps!! You were brave cutting up that paper, before knowing how you would use it...I don't think my OCD could handle that!! :)

isbaha said...

Wonderful layouts !

Alison said...

Having completed this exercise previously with Shimelle's, I know exactly how you felt before cutting your papers up....it's. amazing how it all works out!
Alison xx

Margie said...

Awesome kit and layouts-this was one of my favorite prompts in the class!

Sue Althouse said...

You're reminding me how much fun Pretty Paper Party was! Great kit and wonderful pages. It is something you can come back to again.

Laurie LaRiviere said...

what a great post, so fun to see your process in photos, and your end results are some really fantastic layouts! :) thanks for always leaving such nice words on my blog, you're a sweetie :)

Bev said...

OMG you've been busy.. all fabulous and gorgeous pages..

Tracey Sabella said...

Oh wow, Debbie!! You totally rocked putting the kit together and creating amazing LO's! ~ Blessings, Tracey

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

wow these are fabulous!!! What an awesome challenge, I would have been sketchy on the cutting paper before I had started too, but the results are amazing!

scrapbookertink said...

Gosh I cant believe how much you created with the method! I liked the dogwash one made me chuckle, happy crafting and tks for always popping in to visit me x

S said...

I love working with kits, and I might have to play around with doing some page foundations too. This is a wonderful way to use up large "scraps" of paper when you don't want to cut into any more sheets. Your pages did more than "work out" they are great.