Saturday, April 26, 2014

Remembering Our Beloved Shannon!

Happy Saturday scrappy friends. I'm back today sharing another layout I created. 

It all started when I was browsing through my "unread" Bloglovin blog posts. I came across a weekly challenge post on Shimelle's blog. The challenge this week is to start your layout with a subtle patterned paper as your background. I had these photos of our, (me and my husband's), first dog Shannon that were waiting to be scrapped. I pulled the first neutral, or subtle patterned paper that was in my stash. It is from the My Mind's Eye/The Sweetest Thing collection. I knew I had several scraps from that same collection in my scrap box, so I dug through my scraps and found what I had. 

Next, I remembered that The Memory Nest had a great sketch that I wanted to give a try. Here's the sketch:
April Sketch #1

Here's my layout:


There is a twist the the sketch challenge at The Memory Nest. It is to do something you have never done before, or something that is outside of your comfort zone. I did some sewing on my layout which is not my forte and is always out of my comfort zone.

I was really surprised when I was typing up my journaling and when I was writing the words to a popular song from 1976 called "Shannon", written by Henry Gross. (If you've never heard it, you can hear it in this You-Tube video. It gives me a lump in my throat every time I listen to it). We named our dog Shannon because of this song. Anyway, the layout reminded me, and brought up those feelings again of the sadness of losing her. But after 27 years, she deserves a place in my scrapbooks.

Thanks to Relly Annett-Baker from Shimelle's blog and The Memory Nest for inspiring my layout! And if you haven't shopped with Lesley from The Memory Nest before, check the store out here. I have ordered some products from her, and she has excellent customer service and I was very pleased! 

See you soon! Happy Scrapping!

Follow on Bloglovin

23 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Awwwwwwwwww... I just love love love love this!! What a BEAUTIFUL tribute page!!!!! This is gorgeous!! I loveeeeeee the photos, the colors and the hearts!!!!

Laurie LaRiviere said...

what a great sketch and you did an amazing job with it, your layout is beautiful and so is Shannon :)

blbabe1234 said...

Awww..what a beautiful layout. Love it!

wendipooh13 said...

way to go!!! that turned out sooo cute and love how you worked all the papers in on the page!!!! wonderful job!!!

Ashley Horton said...

Love what you did with the sketch Debbie!! Great layout!

Lisa said...

Shannon looks such a sweetie. Great layout and good use of the scraps and combining challenges including the sewing which I always love but am mostly too lazy to do very often!

Kerry said...

So sweet Debbie and great take on the sketch - off to visit all your links. xx

Terhi Koskinen - Tellimaria said...

Oh, sweet layout. Absolutely adorable!
Thanks for sharing with us at TMN <3

Leslie Germain said...

Debbie, first of all Shannon is adorable. What a great way to remember her. I LOVE what you did with the sketch!! The colors and patterned papers you chose are gorgeous!! And the stitching add that extra amazing touch. Thanks for playing along!!!! :)

Leslie Germain said...

P.S. Thank you for the kind words. That means so much. I love all my scrappy online friends!!!

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

Awww, this is a beautiful take on the sketch and a beautiful tribute to your fur baby!

MichelleMc said...

Aww she was such a beautiful pup! And you've created a gorgeous tribute for her. Your design and stitching look fabulous.

Stephanie said...

Beautiful take on the sketch, and absolutely fabulous layout Debbie! Love the papers you chose here.

forza said...

so cute !

Beautiful take on the sketch :)

Thanks for joining us at The Memory Nest

Crystal Schneider said...

Very pretty page and cute pictures. Thanks for playing along at the Memory Nest.

Svetlana said...

Beautiful layout!
Thanks for playing with The Memory Nest

Juliana Michaels said...

What a great design and wonderful way to remember your sweet baby!

Sue Althouse said...

Sweet story and a beautiful layout. Love this new look to your blog, at least it is new to me!

Ange said...

Oh, I'm sorry for your loss. :(
Your page is absolutely beautiful! You did great with the challenge. I love the colors and the sewing.

Valerie's HeART said...

So beautiful. It puts a lump in my throat, too. What a gorgeous layout. Our pets are so much a part of the family.

Cheryl Caldwell-Nyboer said...

I absolutely LOVE what you did with this FAB sketch!!

Melissa said...

That sketch works so wonderfully for this memory page!

Cheryl Caldwell-Nyboer said...

Awwwwwww what a sweet tribute to a very special doggy, Shannon. Beautiful layout.